Water is a natural resource most of us take for granted—which is probably why the amount wasted by homeowners each year is staggering. Discover how easy it can be to curb your consumption with six simple water saving tips from Advanced Comfort Systems.
Little Changes Make a Big Difference
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the average U.S. family of four goes through about 400 gallons of water every day. By making a few changes, you can significantly reduce your annual water usage:
- Turn off faucets. Since the average faucet releases 2.5 gallons per minute, turn it off while you brush your teeth or are lathering up. Save even more when you rinse dishes in a full sink instead of under a constant stream.
- Flush with less. Older toilets need a lot of water—up to six gallons per use. Upgrade to a newer WaterSense-certified toilet and use as little as 1.28 gallons per flush.
- Save in the shower, too. The typical family uses 40 gallons a day for showers. Replace your showerhead with a low-flow model to use two gallons less per minute without sacrificing performance.
- Watch bills and fix leaks. A sudden rise in your water bill could indicate a leak in your plumbing system. Call a plumber to check your lines, because a dripping faucet can waste 20 gallons of water a day. A leaky toilet is worse, wasting up to 200 gallons every 24 hours.
- Wash only full loads. Half-full loads in your dishwasher or washing machine add up to many wasted gallons of water each year. Also make your next clothes washer a high-efficiency, front-loading model, which uses about 40 percent less water than regular machines.
- Consider an irrigation system. While your initial investment is much higher than a hose and sprinkler, you’ll save a significant amount of water. You’ll also save a lot of time, not to mention you’ll spend less replacing landscape plants damaged by over- or under-watering.
Conserve Resources Without Sacrificing Comfort
Saving water is good for the environment and your budget. And now that you know you can use less water without sacrificing comfort, apply that smart approach to your energy use. Whether you’re ready to upgrade to a high-efficiency Carrier® heating or air conditioning system, or need annual maintenance to help the unit you have run better, trust Advanced Comfort for cost-effective solutions. We’re right in your neighborhood—check our service area and contact us for more information or to schedule an appointment.